Submitted for the September 2012 article in the Business Review North America including pictures of the Executive Committee:
The Adhesives and Sealants Manufacturers Association of Canada (ASMAC) or L’Association des fabricants d’adhésifs et de scellants du Canada (AFASC) primary purpose is to represent the adhesives and sealants manufacturers in Canada.
From a historical point, ASMAC’s immediate predecessor was the Packaging Adhesive Association, active in Canada from 1956 to 1966. In 1966 the organization was renamed as the Adhesives Association of Canada of which the founding members still active today are H.B. Fuller, Helmitin Adhesives, and Halltech. The membership criteria at the time required that the member be a manufacturer of liquid adhesives in Canada. This changed to include the manufacture of adhesives and thus in 1968 the name of the Association was changed to Adhesives and Sealants Manufacturers Association of Canada in order to incorporate and represent the sealant manufacturers.
In the last 15 years, as mergers and acquisitions, and free trade agreements changed the member company’s existence, many manufacturers were absorbed in the process by larger enterprises. Fewer manufacturers now remain active in the industry. Associate members, suppliers to this industry, were added to the mix over the years, to improve representation resulting in the active membership of 16 companies today. Notably the larger players in this industry import their products for distribution rather than produce locally. As a result, the association is now comprised mostly of the smaller to mid sized Canadian manufacturers. As with many associations in Canada, as their members amalgamate, fewer companies are there to represent the industry. The challenge in these circumstances for any association is to continue to offer the same services to its members but with less funding.
ASMAC has renewed itself over the last few years with improved communications and web presence. Members can now access considerable resources and support at asmac.net. In point form …
The Adhesives and Sealants Manufacturers Association of Canada’s main objectives are:
- To make unified and informed representation to government and other public bodies on questions of common concern to the members, and
- To research and inform members of government initiatives and other activities affecting their companies, the industry and the public;
- To collect, analyze and distribute technical and statistical data to members; and
- To provide a forum for legal exchange of information on all subjects of common interest to the members, particularly government regulations.
Membership in the Association
- Manufacturer’s membership is open to firms, companies or corporations that manufacture adhesive and sealant products to be sold in Canada regardless of place of manufacture.
- Associate membership is open to firms, companies or organizations that provide raw material components or equipment to the adhesive and sealant industry in Canada.
As an ASMAC member the following points become relevant …
- An industry related association for networking with like-minded manufacturers and suppliers on subjects effecting daily business activities.
- Being involved and informed on common issues and concerns
- Allowing for a stronger and unified voice to government
- Participation in the development of government regulations, and encouraging compliance with those regulations.
- Having access to a collection of regulatory information related to our industry
- Having access to links and resources for research and support
- Access to general meetings in the form of webinars, technical seminars, presentations and social meetings
- Supporting project orientated initiatives that promotes the adhesives & sealants industry
- Supporting scholarship programs that encourage science & technology choices by our youth
D. Merk, ASMAC, June 27, 2012